1.30.2011

"Welcome to Korea! Do you have bofrand?"

Here in Korea, there is a trend. It's called "having a boyfriend". The basic lifestyle of this trend contains several different aspects. It's as easy as 1, 2, 3...

1. Wearing the same clothes down to the underwear. This may entail a groundbreaking amount of creativity. Sometimes, a couple will go so far as to find the fabric from a girls outfit and try to create it on the guys outfit. As for the underwear, don't you panic. They have his and hers undergarments stores on every corner. For your convenience. If you happen to get in a relationship on two blocks ago, you will soon stumble upon the next underwear store so that you will be able to get your first couples items.

2. Holding hands so tightly that people that would normally need to go through them, must go around the couple. Or else they might be clothes-lined by a couple of Korean lovebirds. Just yesterday I had to duck waiting on my train because a stubborn little set of linked lovers would not simply allow me through the crowded subway.



3. Sticker photos. If you know anything about love, you know the deal isn't sealed until you've spent some serious time in the sticker booths. These booths are great for getting really cheesy portraits for you to cherish for many years to come. My favorite part about these booths is that you can wear all of the crazy wigs and hats. The only problem is that you really can't go by yourself. Thankfully, I got to go with a bunch of my girlfriends a few weeks back. But of course, it is always ideal to have your man by your side.



The thing is, all of this really just keeps me quite humored. It makes me laugh that every time I meet someone who speaks English, their first question for me is if I have a boyfriend are not. Seriously?! I am 7,000 miles away from home and the most interesting thing to know is if I am in a relationship. As I sat and pondered this spectacle, I was reminded of a quote from the fabulous Pride and Prejudice....


"What are men compared to rocks and mountains?"


I suppose having a boyfriend isn't all that bad, but I am sort of enjoying the whole exploring the unknown for the time being.







3 comments:

  1. nancy.. remember when i had P&P playing non stop in my room sophomore year? In fact, I do believe that quote was hanging poster-sized in our hall.

    miss you friend. no i just need to go get bryan and i some matching underwear.... ok. maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scariel. I'm praying for you! Tell em about your boyfran Jesus!...but tell em that you guys where different underwear. Let me know when you get the sticker photos made with him though...i want one!

    ReplyDelete