12.12.2010

The Holidays in Korea-land

It seems that no matter where I find myself, the holidays are a time of mixed feelings. It doesn't really make much sense because I feel like everyone has this "ideal" situation of what Thanksgiving through New Years should look like. Think about it, most of us think it would be just perfect to be cozied up in a little cabin with twinkle lights on the tree, the smell of cinnamon and cider filling the kitchen, family at our sides, carrolers knocking on doors, and a gentle blanket of white snow resting just outside the door. I have been blessed to have had several Christmas' just like this. As much as I truly adored them, I have also found that we always feel like we are mising something. Something that was supposed to be there.
This year I do not have my family, I do not have a kitchen (per say), and I certainly have no snow. (Let's blame it on the fact that Busan is a coastal city). So as easy as it is for me to be wishing and hoping, and thinking and praying...that I did have all of those things, I feel that it will do me no good. I have to say that I am just so thankful to have what I do, who I do, and to know the purpose of holiday cheer is instilled in hearts across the world - no matter where we find ourselves.
Here in Korea, the holidays are very "Westernized". At 2001 Outlet (known to us Busan expats as "2001 Space Oddyssey" because of its wealth of handy things), the second floor is decked out in what they call "Christmas in Europe". It's pretty immaculate. They have millions of trees filled with twinkling lights (most are LED, which I find blinding), stockings, candles, tensil, and ornaments galore. It makes me happy to just walk around there. I try to squint and imagine myself stolling through the chilly streets of Breckenridge or through my beloved Christkindlmarkts auf Deutchland und Österreich. That's just what I mean, by not ever having an ideal Christmas. I mean, I have so many happy memories in so many places. So many picturesque and wonderful holiday times that it is all meshed into one delighful and impossible mess. It makes me really appreciate the things that I so treasure about the holidays in Korea because I know that they will join all of my other favorite holiday memories. I am embracing the millions of Christmas cards that flood the subways (which say things like Happy Holiday and be you new year joy"), the matching red and green underwear (His and Hers) in the display windows, and the millions of Christmas lights at Nampo, where you can buy fluffy scarves and people walk around dressed like eskimos.
Anyway, let me recap the holiday cheers so far. Beginning with Thanksgiving:

On the actual day of Thankgiving (it would have been the morning of Thanksgiving in America) we had a pre-feast feast (see below). This included homemade mashed potatoes, green beans, chicken, and pumpkin pie. Now, normall this would be a feast in and of itself. I would not claim that any one of us eats too glamorously here in Korea. It just happens to be really easy to throw some ramen on the stove and be done with it. However, 0ne of Jay's college roommates and his wife live in Gong-ju. They arranged for all of us to cozy up in a little cabin out in the freezing cold middle of no where for the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Now this is where the actual feast occurred. We had everything from cranberry sauce to stuffing. I cannot tell you the joy my stomach felt. I truly experienced the "I'm so full of Thanksgiving food, so why am I still eating?" dilemma, just like home! Man, So thankful for that. I was not expecting a traditional meal by any means, so this getaway was just fabulous. Also, something I really loved about this trip was that we could see the stars from the cabin! I literally haven't seen more than 5-6 stars at one time since I arrived in Korea. I was so overjoyed! We bundled up and just watched the stars for a long, long time. It made me miss my Texas porch, where you can gaze any night at the blanket of twinkling lights any night you wish.

Also, through this holiday season my friend Jay has been so wonderful as to host two "Community Breakfasts". He cooks up french toast and fills us with french press coffee on a Saturday morning. I love just chilling and eating good food with friends. I feel so blessed to have such genuine people in my life.


"Christmas, children, is not a date. It is a state of mind."

- Mary Ellen Chase

Oh dear, if anything, my kids have been getting me in the Christmas mood more than anyone else. They are so precious! I have them sing "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer" in Korean (translates to "Rudof Red Reindeer Nose", ha!) all the time. It just makes me so happy! I am just so in love with all of these precious ones that Christmas only makes me love them so much more. At ILS we got to have a day where the kids decorated Christmas posters. It was complete and utter pandemonium, but it was well worth it. They worked so hard on them!!

Straight up dedication ^^

I even gave some of my little ones these nifty headbands. Since, they got presents from me -- I forced them to do a little photoshoot. Above is Harry doing the no bangs look. Below you see my coworkers Gina and James exchanging some Christmas love in the headbands.

Two weekends ago we had a girl's night Christmas party. It was wonderful, we watched I'll be Home For Christmas (can't get through the holidays without a little JTT), ate large amounts of reeses (homemade), mandu, and krystal made us some potent mold wine with an orange zest.
Here is my little Christmas corner. My tiny and super cheap tree with twinkle lights and a little Merry Christmas banner across the windowsill. Mmmm. Now there are a few presents under the tree and my stocking is hung (yes, my awesome mom sent my stocking packed with goodies all the way from America).



So yes, although Christmas might be "missing" a few necessary things here in Korea, it is still Christmas. The birthday of my Savior. Which, let's be honest, is the only gift I need. It is my comfort, my peace, my joy, my cheer, my everything.

So happy holidays and a very merry Christmas to all of you.

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you from Washington state! The children look like well-rewarded pupils in your photos.

    It's good to spend Christmas with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a beautiful pie crust!! You're so talented :) Loved the update friend!

    ReplyDelete